The Toledo-Lucas County Public Library is proud to observe Navy Week and commemorate the War of 1812 this month with several special activities, historical displays and more!
The Library will celebrate Navy Week with an Oral History Project: Local Veterans Speak, scheduled from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday,August 24 and Saturday, August 25 at Main Library, 325 Michigan St., where local veterans from all branches and eras of the Armed Forces are invited to share their memories and experiences in audiotaped conversations as part of the Library’s ongoing Oral History Project. The Library is proud to honor those who serve in the United States Navy as well as those who have served in all branches of the Armed Forces.
To reserve your 20-minute time slot, veterans should call 419.259.5233. Appointments are preferred to prevent wait time, but drop-ins are welcome.
The Library will also host an historical display of ship models from the Western Lake Erie Historical Society, on view August 24 through September 8. Also, a traveling exhibition titled “1812″ produced by the Canadian War Museum, which is on view now through August 25. This paneled exhibit, arranged through the Consulate General of Canada – Detroit, presents a new and dramatic account of the War of 1812 as seen through the eyes of its Canadian, American, British and First Peoples participants.
Ø On Saturday, August 25, Main Library will host a Family Day scheduled from 1:30-5 p.m.:
· An 1812 Style Show featuring “Fashions in the Jane Austen Era” by Betsy Bashore scheduled at 1:30 p.m.
· War of 1812 Equipment Demonstration by Steve Nichols titled “A Soldier’s Life: The Military Experience of the War of 1812”
· DAY 2 of the Oral History Project: Local Veterans Speak from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· “All Hands on Deck” activities and crafts table designed for children with ship-related craft projects.
For more details, please log on to toledolibrary.org or call 419.259.5200.
- Toledo-Lucas County Public Library | Toledo, OH