1Matters Press Conference
Thursday, 10/4/12 – 10 am
20 North Gallery
18 N. St. Clair
Contact: Ken Leslie, 419.349.4969
A press conference to kick off the October events including the Harry Sandler Exhibit, Tent City, and 1Mile Matters walk.
Tent City & Walk:
• Tent City is 10/26 – 10/28
• The 1Mile Matters walk kicks off Tent City
• Tent City and Walk are about Unity!
• Mercy, Promedica and UTMC coming together to provide the medical services at Tent City
• University of Toledo and Bowling Green State University are coming together for the walk
• ZZ Top is donating tickets and meet-n-greet for their 11/1 Toledo show for the 1Matters fundraisers (more below)
Harry Sandler Exhibit & Events:
• Friday night is the Harry Sandler Benefit – we hope you will help us get the word out. Harry took a week off from his job as tour manager for Katy Perry to give to our community.
• His landscape work is INCREDIBLE! We are all blown away seeing the pieces so big. Eric Hillenbrand at 20 North Gallery said people will love, love, love and buy his work. Both Harry and Eric are donating all proceeds to 1Matters and our programs.
• Here is a video of Harry’s work.
• He is having an iPhoneography 101 workshop. He is also going to TSA and St. Ursula to do free iPhoneography workshops for students and teachers. We want to get Toledo “ahead of the curve” on this new art form.
Our Veterans Matter spokes people ZZ Top want to meet the top walker and three guests at their show at the Stranahan, 11/1, three days after Tent City. They gave us another package – 4 tix and a meet & greet – for a raffle; we are putting together details now.
• The 1Mile Matters walk is 10/26. We will have extensive turnout from the University of Toledo AND Bowling Green State University coming together. Rocky and Rocksy Rocket are committed to come, and we are working on Freddy and Frieda Falcon.
• Clothing drive is alive, please collect new or GENTLY used winter clothing. They can be dropped off at Cherry Street Missions Lifebridge Center… 3342 Monroe, the old Banner Mattress. Map is here. Tent City volunteer sign up is open.
Urgent message: Critical documents – IDs, birth certificates – are the lifeblood of our society. You cannot do ANYTHING (housing, job, etc.) without one. Not sure if you knew but January 1st, Ohio is implementing the Safe ID program. The new program will make it very, very difficult for anyone without an address to get an ID. VERY difficult. So we are doing all we can to make sure anyone who needs one gets one at Tent City, and until the end of the year.
The City of Toledo Department of Neighborhoods and Lucas County Health Department are covering the cost of 50 birth certificates. That’s what happens when you bring the community together… Collaboration Leverage.
- 1Matters | 3450 W. Central