Sylvania, Ohio – Suzanne Silva is putting her heart up for auction. A glass heart that she made in recognition of one very important fact.
Heart disease is the number one killer of women.
That’s why Silva and her coworkers at Interrupt take one day each year to set aside their work and make a visit to Firenation Glass Studio in Holland, Ohio. There, they make glass hearts they’ll auction off to benefit the American Heart Association.
“People tend to think breast cancer is the biggest health risk for women, but it’s really heart disease and stroke,” says Bill Rossiter, Interrupt principal and CEO. “Heart disease takes more lives than all forms of cancer combined. But it doesn’t have the same level of awareness or funding.”
Five years ago, the Sylvania-based strategic branding and marketing firm decided they wanted to do more than just “Wear Red” for Women. They wanted to help raise money and awareness too. Each year since, they’ve hosted their “Have a Heart” auction online.
The auction features one-of-a-kind glass items created by Interrupt employees under the guidance of experienced glass artists. Each employee chooses the colors and shape for their glass art. This year the heart shape was again the overwhelming favorite, though the final assortment also includes colorful glass spheres, flat circles, even a bird and a fish. Many Interrupters also take time away from work to create additional pieces of one of a kind artwork to include in the auction. This year the mix includes everything from mugs and wine glasses to wall decor to industrial sculpture.
“It’s a great team-building opportunity for us as a company as well as the chance to do something that’s creative and beneficial to others,” says Silva, a member of the company’s Culture Clan committee. Part of Interrupt’s mission is to positively impact and give back to the community we work and live in. And the company participates in at least four give-backs each year.
View and bid on items from Interrupt’s “Have A Heart” auction at https://www.interruptdelivers.com/2017-have-a-heart/. The auction runs February 3 – 10. One hundred percent of the proceeds are donated to the local chapter of the American Heart Association.
Pieces will also be on display during the Sylvania Art Walk, Friday, February 3 from 5 – 8pm at the Interrupt offices, 6622 Maplewood in Sylvania.
Facts about cardiovascular disease
• Cardiovascular diseases and stroke cause 1 in 3 women’s deaths each year, killing approximately one woman every 80 seconds.
• An estimated 44 million women in the U.S. are affected by cardiovascular diseases.
• 90% of women have one or more risk factors for heart disease or stroke.
• Women have a higher lifetime risk of stroke than men.
• 80% of heart disease and stroke events may be prevented by lifestyle changes and education
• Fewer women than men survive their first heart attack.
• The symptoms of heart attack can be different in women vs. men, and are often misunderstood – even by some physicians.
• Women who are involved with the Go Red For Women movement live healthier lives.
• When you get involved in supporting Go Red For Women by advocating, fundraising and sharing your story, more lives are saved.
- Interrupt | 6622 Maplewood Ave | Sylvania, OH 43560