NAMI Walks for the Mind of America
The National Alliance of the Mentally (NAMI) Ill of Greater Toledo is hosting its annual NAMI Walks for the Mind of America event on Saturday, October 10, 2009, at the Franciscan Center at Lourdes College. Registration will begin at 9:00 a.m. and the Walk will commence at 10:00 a.m.
Walk Committee Co-chairs include outstanding community leaders Laura Draheim of the Lucas County Children Services Board and Jim Stengel of Brooks Insurance. Honorary chairs for the Walk are former State Representative Lynn Olman and The River 101.5 radio personality Mary Beth Zolick.
NAMI of Greater Toledo:
- Provides support to persons with mental health issues;
- Educates families and consumers;
- Advocates for fair and equitable federal, state, and private sector policies;
- Advocates for improved opportunities for housing, rehab and meaningful jobs;
- Supports research into causes, systems and treatments of mental health issues; and
- Supports public education programs designed to help eliminate the pervasive stigma surrounding mental illness.
Mental illness is a huge issue; the total cost of mental health services in the United States is now estimated to be over $200 billion a year. In Ohio alone the loss in productivity due to mental illness is $3.5 billion. NAMI of Greater Toledo is seeking support to help raise both money and awareness in its efforts to help people who live with mental illness in the Toledo community.
For further information regarding the NAMI Walk contact:
NAMI of Greater Toledo
2753 W. Central Avenue
Toledo, OH 43606
Press Release Contact Name: Mary Jo Bellner Swartzberg
Press Release Contact Email: MaryJo.Swartzberg@utoledo.edu
Press Release Contact Phone: (419) 243-1119
Organization Name: NAMI of Greater Toledo
Website or Link: www.namitoledo.org/
Organization Address: Toledo, OH